Monday, June 7, 2010

Running in the Rain


Now, I discovered something over the weekend. There is a very select subgroup of people within the running community who actually run outside regardless of the weather. I like to think that I am an honorary member of this subgroup... well at least for one day. On Saturday, I was slated to run 7 miles. When the rain let up a bit, I drove down to Lake Harriet, ready to run around both Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun alone. Although the rain seemed to be stopping, it did just the opposite. At first I pleaded with the rain to stop, but when it persisted I cursed the skies and powered forward. There's a feeling that washes over you when you decide to do the unpopular thing. A feeling like you've purposefully taken the more difficult path, and are proud of it. I ran until my indignant pride fueled each step, and each step quickened my pace until I began running faster than I ever would've run in the sunshine.

And, as I said, the people are different. Not that those who run in the rain are different than those who run in the sunshine... but they've changed. One young man high-fived me as we passed in opposite directions. A young woman smiled at me, as we pushed through a treeless pass at Lake Calhoun. Another young man complimented my running attire, "very good outfit." (Well, he wasn't a runner and I'm not entirely sure what he was doing at the lake, but how could I leave out such a perfect quote?)

As I rounded the final curve around Lake Harriet and toward my car, I was filled with a strong sense of relief. All I wanted was a warm bath, and that is exactly what I did upon returning home.

Running in the rain. It's no picnic, but it comes highly recommended, if only for the sense of satisfaction once it's over.

Tips for running in the rain:

- Wear a hat. I think I wiped the rain from my eyes and forehead about 5,000 times.

- Definitely wear a long sleeved layer. I was thankful for my soaked, but warm outer layer.

- Launder your clothes like a normal person. I rinse my running tights in the shower, and hang them to dry. Since it's difficult to fully rinse the soap from the fabric, my pants began to lather with the friction. Ummm, embarrassing!

Photo from: http://davefontaine.com/blog/

25 comments:

07_TeddyF_Silvey0 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。...........................................................................

Miss Alanneous said...

I love rain running! It is my favorite condition to run in. Now- I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but there is definitely something exhilarating about it from time to time.

I guess I am one of those crazy runners though. Rain, sleet, snow... Meh- bring it on!

Just be sure to air your shoes out very well after a rain run. Take the insoles out to let everything dry thoroughly.

Glad to hear you discovered it is not so bad out there on a day like this. Happy trails!

esthermelvin said...

愛看您的新文章!加油! ........................................

vickiekurt said...

線上免費成人觀賞 視訊 摸摸耳聊天 免費av 視訊交友網 女優 性感寶貝 成人影片交流 偷拍性交 ut色情聊天室 女人愛愛 情趣 同志18禁 少女裸睡 aa洪爺影城 a片面 情色守門員 麗的色情小戲 一夜情 383影音live秀 影音視訊 玩美女人試看 美女女優寫真 辣妹自拍貼圖網 人妻線上看 免費影片 77p2p 85街 a圖網a圖貼圖 美女寫真 85cc+ 免費成人 85st 視訊聊天 貼圖區 援交 情人視訊 免費脫衣秀 dvd av女優 洪爺影城下載區 大奶影片 sex888貼圖區 170部a下載 日本巨乳a片 百性線上直播網 後宮電影院長 限制級視訊 0204視訊美女 免費性愛片 正妹日報

禎峰 said...

你不能左右天氣,但你可以改變心情.............................................................

博行 said...

要照顧身體歐~保重......................................................................

智能智能 said...

Pen and ink is wits plough. ....................................................................

江婷 said...

pleasure to find such a good artical! please keep update!!.................................................................                           

子帆子帆 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

王名仁 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

怡潔怡潔 said...

這BLOG真是讓人意猶未盡!!..................................................................

芳容222許林堅林芳容儀 said...

寂寞又無聊 看到你的BLOG 加油喔!!..................................................................

anthonyjensen張anthonyjensen欣虹 said...

馬丁路德:「即使知道明天世界即將毀滅,我仍願在今天種下一棵小樹。」............................................................

陳倩江陳倩江 said...

德不孤,必有鄰。文不獨,必有應!............................................................

陳佑發 said...

融會貫通的智慧,永遠不會被遺忘。..................................................

蔡舜娟蔡舜娟 said...

上班很累,摸個魚輕輕鬆鬆的逛部落.................................................................

佳瑩佳瑩 said...

享受你自己的生活,不要與他人相比。............................................................

許惠吟許惠吟 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。............................................................

麗王王珠 said...

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.............................................................

怡于名君 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。............................................................

敬周喜 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。..................................................

基韬 said...

工作,是愛的具體化~~~~努力吧!........................................

孫邦柔 said...

我只知道,假如我去愛人生,那人生一定也會回愛我................................................

智柏林婉林亞 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。............................................................

玉韓韓韓婷韓韓韓韓 said...

時時關心,時時感動。..................................................